Index of this Curriculum Page: Click the list items to scroll to the topic.
- What is BioDynamic Breathwork & Trauma Release?
- BBTRS Training – at a glance
- Experiental Route
- Practitioner Certification Program
- Training Details
- Foundational Level 1
- Intermediate Level 2
- Advanced Level 3 & 4
- Required Webinars & Reading
- Practice Sessions
- Practitioner Certification
- 400 Total Core Curriculum Hours
- Practitioner Training Qualifying Formats
- Elective Workshops & Webinars
What is BioDynamic Breathwork & Trauma Release?
BioDynamic Breathwork & Trauma Release System® (BBTRS®) is a new approach to body-oriented therapy. It is founded on a carefully tested combination of specific breathing patterns with therapeutic conscious movement and dance, specialized touch and bodywork techniques, core tension release exercises, gentle emotional release, self-awareness exercises and meditation practice.
BBTRS is designed to break through the many layers of body armoring, and thus releasing mental, emotional and physiological tension from your body, mind and nervous system. As a result, BBTRS may reduce and clear one’s deeply imprinted primal, religious and societal conditioning. BBTRS enables you to feel the full range of sensations and emotions available to a human being, while expanding your capacity to support and contain the free flow of life-force energy.
BBTRS Training - at a glance
- The BBTRS trainings are uniquely designed to accommodate aspiring and existing practitioners, as well as anyone wanting to fully participate in their own healing process with breathwork on a purely experiential basis.
- Participants can access the Foundational Level 1 Training at any given training workshop around the world. There are no prerequisites for attending the training.
- Upon completion of the Foundational Level 1 Training, participants can choose to continue in our trainings on a purely experiential basis (Experiential Route) or to enter into our Practitioner Certification Program (total 400-hr training).
Important note! Any workshop offered around the world, which has the word “training” in the title, can be an entry point into the Experiential Route or the Practitioner Certification Program.
BBTRS Training Structure
Our Integrated Training Structure
The BBTRS Training is structured to accommodate participants from all levels of the Practitioner Certification Program and Experiential Route, at any given training workshop around the world. This means that anyone, regardless of whether it is your first, second, third or fourth time attending the BBTRS Training, can attend any training workshop at any point in time. All training workshops are suitable as an entry point into Foundational Level 1.
As you progress through your BBTRS training, you will be taught advanced elements of the training and take on different roles and responsibilities within the workshop group to further your personal and professional development. Students returning as part of the Practitioner Certification Program gradually take on the role of supporters and receive additional guidance and mentorship from the Facilitator Team to help them grow as practitioners and learn to hold safe session space for others. New participants benefit from this integrated structure through receiving the broad support offered by both the facilitators and more experienced students at various levels. Our integrated training structure allows all participants to have a unique learning & healing experience as part of a group process, and to meet your varying needs at all stages of your journey with BBTRS.
The BBTRS Training is fully experiential in nature and therefore offers an opportunity for deep personal growth and transformation. This work provides restructuring at a cellular level, supporting the opening of the spine, which is the source of our life force, containing our central energy channel running from the base to the crown of our heads, and ultimately transforming you into an increasingly present, conscious and joyous being. You open deeper to acceptance of yourself and others and in doing so begin to experience life in its full potential.
First-time participants enter into the Foundational Level 1 Training, where they have the opportunity to fully participate in their own healing process with daily BBTRS sessions in conjunction with the supporting elements designed to further deepen trauma release. There is time for relaxation and integration and guidelines for post training integration. The Foundational Level 1 Training includes both receiving as well as giving BBTR sessions, and thus exposes participants to the full benefits of BBTRS as a tool for transformation and self-exploration. At this level we also provide the necessary basic knowledge on BBTRS and how to work safely with the breath through our Foundational Manual and ‘Anatomy & Physiology of Breathwork’ Webinar.
If you prefer to focus fully on your own healing process, without becoming a certified BBTRS practitioner, you are invited to continue and repeat Foundational Level 1 Training as many times as you wish. It is possible to switch to the Level 2 Training of our Practitioner Certification Program at any point. The additional external resources available in the Practitioner Certification Program (Mentoring calls & ‘Understanding Trauma’ and ‘Introduction to Reichian Character Types’ webinars) can be purchased separately from our store.
Practitioner Certification Program
Our BBTRS Practitioner Certification Program is suitable for aspiring practitioners, as well as certified/licensed therapists from a wide field of therapeutic modalities. BBTRS can be used as a stand-alone therapy or to expand and be integrated with existing therapeutic practices. Our graduates are as diverse as the community we serve; psychotherapists, medical doctors, speech therapists, acupuncturists, yoga teachers, energy healers and bodyworkers. The BBTRS Practitioner Certification Program is uniquely structured to guide students through their own trauma release and healing process, whilst gradually gaining the confidence, knowledge and skill set to hold safe and supportive session space for clients while working with this modality. Successfully completing a minimum of 400 training will certify you as a BioDynamic Breathwork & Trauma Release System practitioner. Students will have the opportunity to become certified with American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP) and/or the National Ministry of Education (MEN) Poland. The BBTRS Training courses are recognized as continuing education courses by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork in the USA. Students may then apply to become members of these organizations with associated benefits.
BBTRS is recognized or accredited by
- The International Breathwork Foundation (ibfnetwork.com)
- National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork in USA (ncbtmb.org)
- The Global Professional Breathwork Alliance (breathworkalliance.com)
- The American Association Of Drugless Practitioners (AADP) (aadp.net)
Our trainings and workshops held around the world all provide Continuing Education for the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB.org) for license renewal.
- 7-day trainings = 55 CEU’s
- 5-day workshops = 40 CEU’s
- 2-day workshops = 16 CEU’s
The BBTRI webinars also provide CE as follows:
- Anatomy & Physiology of Breathwork – 2.5 CE
- Introduction to Reichian Character Types & Developmental Trauma – 5 CEs
- Understanding Trauma: Our Body, Brain & Emotions – 4.5 CEs
The BBTRS Training consists of a minimum of 400 training hours. These hours are met through attending 4 levels of training workshops, ranging from 7 to 13 days: Foundational Level 1 Training, Intermediate Level 2 and Advanced Levels 3 & 4; completing mentoring calls between each training module, a log of BBTRS practice sessions and study a series of webinars: ‘Anatomy and Physiology of Breathwork’, ‘Understanding Trauma: Our Body, Brain & Emotions’, ‘Introduction to Reichian Character Types & Developmental Trauma’ and ‘Breathwork Practitioner Ethics’ (this webinar is coming soon). These webinars are an important part of the BBTRS Training and must be completed by all students wishing to qualify for practitioner certification. Pre-recorded webinars are included as part of the Practitioner Certification Program or can be purchased individually in our online store.
The Intermediate/Advanced Trainings include additional meetings with the facilitators, supervised on-floor training hours and additional specialized skills workshops. At the end of each level, students will receive a certificate from the BioDynamic Breathwork & Trauma Release Institute and/or Integral Body Institute (international learning institutions based in the USA and Poland, EU). Upon completing the minimum of 400 hours of theory and practice, students will be evaluated on their professional skills and capacity to establish and hold safe session space.
The minimum 400 hours includes: personal development & self-awareness processes, session facilitation training in theory and practice, meditation facilitation training, personal coaching and supervision during and in between training modules, extracurricular training hours and a minimum of 70 documented practice sessions.
The practice sessions are a mandatory requirement for all students and the first 30 sessions must be offered free of charge. All 70 practice sessions must be completed by the end of the 4th training module. A written log and client evaluations of all completed sessions must be electronically submitted. We strongly recommend students to complete at least 30 practice sessions in between each of the training modules. The entire minimum 400 training hours (4 Levels) must be completed within a 2-year period.
We also highly recommend for all students to become CPR certified.
After completion of the entire 4-level (minimum 400 hours) training, graduates are invited to apply to attend further workshops at no additional cost (excluding accommodation and meals). Our graduates also continue to have access to regular mentoring calls free of charge. In the future, we will offer graduates the opportunity to train as a BBTRS Foundational Level 1 Training Facilitator and as a certified BBTRS Group Facilitator (offer by invitation only). All this gives you an opportunity for further deepening and embodiment of BBTRS practitioner skills.
- Experiential BBTRS sessions
- BBTRS session facilitation techniques
- Cultivating safe space and establishing client/practitioner relationship
- Fundamentals of counselling and coaching
- Self-inquiry with the Work of Byron Katie for BBTRS sessions
- (Bali and USA only)
- Anatomy and physiology of breath
- Anatomy and physiology of trauma
- Relevant basic human anatomy
- Releasing body armoring by segments (7 belts of tension: eyes and forehead, throat, shoulders & arms, chest, diaphragm, abdomen, pelvis)
- Customized bodywork and release techniques for each belt of tension
- Utilizing body/personality types according to Wilhelm Reich
- Developing internal & use of external resourcing
- Fundamentals of Somatic Experiencing (body oriented trauma release) including completion of interrupted Fight/Flight or ‘Freezing’ response
- Bodywork and conscious touch techniques
- Acupressure points to support energetic release
- Myofascial Unwinding (a connective tissue release modality)
- Core Tension Release Exercises (CTRE) & Trauma Release Exercises (TRE)
- Structuring series of BBTRS sessions to fit specific client needs
- Cultivating the inner space required to support BBTRS sessions
- Bioenergetics & grounding exercises
- Therapeutic use of sound, music, dance and conscious movement
- Structures and meditations for expanded self-awareness, well-being and intuition
- Guided meditation techniques to support integration of BBTRS sessions
- Guided meditation facilitation training
- Creative use of music for BBTRS sessions
- Client/Practitioner code of ethics
- Session contraindications
This training is for
- Everyone invested in personal healing, growth and transformation. The BBTRS Training will create a profound and solid shift in your life. This training is not limited for professional use only.
- Anyone interested in gaining professional skills for working with breath and body-oriented trauma release. No previous healing arts practitioner experience is necessary.
- Bodyworkers & massage therapists, yoga students & teachers, psychologists/psychotherapists, naturopaths, acupuncturists and other body-oriented therapists and practitioners. The BBTRS Training will support all participants to deepen their understanding of and gain further professional skills to support others in body-oriented trauma release.
Through personal experience you learn to catalyze others on their path of transformation and healing via this profound holistic modality.
Foundational Level 1
This stage in the BBTRS Training includes:
- Anatomy & Physiology of Breathwork Webinar
- BBTRS Training Manual
- Daily BBTRS exchange sessions
- 1 follow-up/integration call
- "Feel to heal" - ebook by Giten Tonkov
In the first stage of our training, participants begin to experience the art of moving deeply into the body, and holding space for themselves and others in trauma release with skill and sensitivity.
During exposure to traumatic events you may lose your connection to feeling and the sense of being grounded. This results in tension, numbness and disconnection from the universal life force energy (Prana or Qi) which when left unaddressed, may cause onset of disease. Re-establishing this sense of connection to self and inner trust is what makes trauma release possible. You will learn to connect with your “felt sense” and to create a “safe container”; a feeling of comfort within your physical body. These tools allow you to feel your fully unrestricted energy flow without being overwhelmed by it. Through personal experience, you begin to gain an understanding of the effects that trauma has on a human being.
Working with breathing techniques, meditation and movement, we begin to unlock and release the tension patterns held in the nervous/muscular systems and fascia. Participants are encouraged to discover and complete their own body’s interrupted “fight or flight” responses and/or to overcome their “frozen & dissociated” states, which result from traumatic events. This supports a deep opening allowing everyone’s true growth and healing potential to manifest.
This opening allows you to develop your sensitivity and intuition which are the primary requirements needed to support yourself and others in a compassionate BBTRS session. Through the group processes and individual session exchanges you will establish trust, which is the most valuable quality in a breath and body-oriented trauma release session and key to your healing.
Working closely with each other in a session exchange format, participants will also gain an understanding of how to structure and conduct a BBTRS session.
Participants are required to complete the ‘Anatomy & Physiology of Breathwork’ webinar prior to attending the Foundational Level 1 Training. The Foundational Level 1 Training will be followed up with a group integration call two weeks after the training finishes. This gives you an opportunity to share your post-training process and to receive guidance and feedback from one of our facilitators.
Intermediate Level 2
This stage in the BBTRS Training includes:
- Additional webinars “Understanding Trauma” & “Introduction to Reichian Character Types” (+ Manual)
- Additional Mentoring meetings with facilitators (3 x in 7-day training)
- Mentoring calls (minimum 3 x btw Level 2-3)
- Stay out/support sessions & receive feedback from facilitators
You will deepen into letting go of self-limiting beliefs stored in cellular memories that restrict the body/mind structure. This develops a direct mind-body-spirit connection, which supports your innate intelligence to move into freedom of expression.
Arrested energy in the form of shortened, hardened soft tissue layers interferes with the conduction & free flow of nerve impulses. These restrictions lock the traumatic events in the cellular memory.
Continued session exchanges enhance the understanding of both traumatic holding patterns in the body and the approach towards permanent trauma release. You will have additional Q&A sessions with the facilitators to address questions and/or concerns about BBTRS session techniques, required practice sessions, client feedback forms and examine specific case studies. Level 2 students will follow the facilitators during group exercises & session exchanges to observe and strengthen previously acquired facilitation techniques and learn new & creative ways to support BBTRS sessions. This will occur a minimum 20-30% of the active group participation hours.
After completing Level 2 and before attending Level 3 students are required to complete the “Understanding Trauma” and “Introduction to Reichian Character Types” webinars. In addition, students will participate in a minimum of 3 group mentoring calls in between Training modules Level 2 and 3.
Advanced Level 3 & 4
This stage in the BBTRS Training includes:
- Additional Mentoring meetings with facilitators (6 x in 7-day training)
- Mentoring calls (minimum 4 x btw Level 3-4)
- Stay out/support sessions & receive feedback from facilitators
- Practitioner certification & benefits upon completion of Level 4
The culmination of your self-development and growth, in conjunction with your experiential academic process, provides you with the necessary tools to facilitate others in trauma healing and transformation.
When the muscular system and fascia are released of tension and the nervous system is free of shock, we regain the natural flexibility of the spinal column.
An open, flexible spine creates a clear pathway for the transmission of nerve impulses to travel though the spinal cord. Repressed energy locked in the pelvic region is free to move into the heart and other energetic centers of the body. Trauma Release is about re-establishing the connection between the pelvis (Root Chakra) and higher energetic centers. This supports a natural “letting go” of personality structures and belief systems that keep us from living fully free in the heart of each moment. You will experience increased self-awareness, self-responsibility and creativity.
During Level 3 & 4 of the training, students will follow the facilitators during group exercises & session exchanges to observe and strengthen previously acquired facilitation techniques and learn new & creative ways to support BBTRS sessions. This will occur a minimum 50% of the active group participation hours during Level 3, and 80-100% of the active group participation hours during Level 4. In addition, students will facilitate/guide the daily meditations and receive feedback on their facilitation skills. Receiving feedback points to student’s strengths and weaknesses thus expanding the ability to hold session space. Students are also required to participate in a minimum of 4 group mentoring calls in between Training modules Level 3 and 4.
- Anatomy & Physiology of Breathwork ~ All Levels
(2.5 hours; no prerequisite)
- Understanding Trauma ~ Level 2
(4 hours; prerequisite Anatomy & Physiology of Breathwork)
- Reichian Character Structures ~ Level 2
(5.5 hours; prerequisite Anatomy & Physiology of Breathwork)
Note: In our Store we offer recordings of our webinar series in English & Polish.
- “BioEnergetics: The Revolutionary Therapy That Uses The Language Of The Body To Heal The Problems Of The Mind,” Alexander Lowen
- “Waking The Tiger,” Peter Levine
- “The Body Keeps The Score,” Bessel van der Kolk
- “A Way To Vibrant Health – Bioenergetics Exercise manual,” Alexander Lowen
- “Body, Self & Soul,” Jack Lee Rosenberg
- “Eastern Body Western Mind,” Anodea Judith
- “In An Unspoken Voice,” Peter Levine
- “Anatomy Trains,” Thomas Myers
- “The Psoas Book,” Liz Koch
- “Emotional Anatomy,” Stanley Keleman
- “Non-violent Communication,” Marshal Rosenberg
- “Wheels Of Life,” Anodea Judith
- “The Continuum Concept,” Jean Liedloff
- “Core Energetics,” John Pierrakos
- “Holotropic Breath,” Stan Grof
- “Anatomy Coloring Book,” Stephanie McCann & Eric Wise
- “Sex At Dawn,” Christopher Ryan & Cacylda Jetha
- “The 5 Personality Patterns,” Steven Kessler
After completing Foundational Level 1 Training, BBTRS Practitioner Certification Program students begin to offer free practice sessions to the public.
You must complete a minimum of 70 1,5 hour practice sessions and submit the appropriate session log to qualify for certification. You will also benefit from our online Q&A forum and group mentoring calls between trainings.
Upon completing the entire 400-hour training, our graduates receive certification as BioDynamic Breathwork & Trauma Release System practitioners. We offer our graduates a listing in the practitioner database of the BBTRI website and continued access to group mentoring calls free of charge. Our graduates may also apply to return to our trainings as supporters or assistants free of charge (excluding accommodation and meals). In the future, we will also offer graduates the opportunity to participate in BBTRS Group Facilitator trainings and to train as a Foundational Level 1 Training leader (by invitation only).
400 Total Core Curriculum Hours for BBTRS Practitioner Certification include:
- Minimum of 4 in-person trainings, and 3 webinar trainings and 7 Mentoring calls in between training modules.
- 70 1,5 hour documented practice sessions over the course of 2 years. (Minimum 5 clients completing full 8-session series)
- Total hours completed over 2-year period
BBTRS Practitioner Training Qualifying Formats:
- In-person training in BBTRS facilitation
- Educational webinars offered by the BBTRI
- Mentoring calls with facilitators
- Supervised practice with fellow students
- Supervision of new students
- Meditation facilitation training
- Personal coaching
Elective Workshops & Webinars
Elective workshops & webinars are offered as tools to keep you updated on BBTRS evolution & specialized skills to support your sessions & group work, including: (Hours are not applied to certification requirements.)
- Trauma Release for Women
- Group Facilitation Skills
- Healing Developmental Trauma
- BBTRS Foundational Level 1 Facilitation Skills (by invitation only)